Monday, July 29, 2024

Do not shrink, hold your shoulders up.

Why is it that often when I am caught off guard and someone calls my name in a room full of people, I get the urge to shrink? Why do I not radiate a smile and sit or stand a little taller? I am not sure why my tendency is to shrink or withdraw a little. Maybe someone could analyze my behavior and suggest that I have insecurities. Perhaps that is the case. But I want to tell myself each and every time I do that, to hold my shoulders up, to hold my head up, smile, and offer a pleasant expression when attention is brought to me. When life gives us the opportunity to shine, we totally should.  If someone pays a compliment, accept it graciously. When someone brags on you, let them. There's nothing wrong with people applauding your talent, strength, kindness, or appearance. If people ask you about yourself, speak up and give information with gladness. 

I really believe it is important for us all to remember we have every right to be in the room, to sit at the table, and to come to the conversation. Chin up, and eyes wide open. Take in those moments. Accept kindness in all its forms when it comes.

No comments: